I “get” the books part, but why cooking?
- Cooking is a universally loved activity! I have fond memories of making black moons and ginger crinkles when I was young. As a teacher, I always had a mom come in to cook each week. In my mind, if I can make educational associations through food, all the better! I always say… the kids at HFB will never forget the long O sound because we make homemade dOnuts! Our recipes, books, class challenges, and reading based games reinforce the concept of the day (which parents love), but the cooking… that is the thing kids remember most!
My child has food allergies. Can he/she still attend?
- HFB IS a cooking based educational program. While we can make some substitutions for certain allergies, you must call the director to explain your child’s allergies before enrolling. In some cases we can even accommodate peanut allergies, but we do not proclaim to be a “nut-free facility.” Parents who do enroll children with a food allergy (that has been Ok’d by the director) must read all posted recipes before class to ensure safety!
What is it about HFB that kids love so much?
- We can only tell you that we have more parents tell us that HFB is their child’s favorite program – over preschool, kindergarten or anything else. As educators, we know that all personality styles respond to humor. We also know that our activities and the finished product (those yummy, zany treats) ensure a sense of success and reinforce the skills we’ve introduced. Our whimsical and comfortable atmosphere lends itself to learning, fun and ultimately, a positive attitude towards books.
What is your refund policy?
- It is a rare day when HFB needs to offer a refund! But, we understand that circumstances arise that may require a refund. As long as 3 weeks advance notice is given, we are happy to refund the remaining balance minus the reg. fee. We want happy clients so it does us no good to keep your money and make you unhappy!
How do you handle makeup classes?
- We never like to hear that a child is sick, but it helps to know before class so we don’t wait for you to start class! Please email/call us and we will pop your child into another class that week (or soon thereafter!)
How is a Mix-it-Up class different from Beginner Bakers or Chefs in Training classes?
- Mix it Up classes happen when some 3 year olds want a time slot and so do some 4/5 year olds or, more often, a mom who has one of each is looking for a class time to drop both of them off! This only means that we alternate the lessons each week based on the make up of the class. We can always gear the curriculum up or down to suit each child’s educational
Are all the classes drop-off?
- All classes except Book Lovin’ Babies are drop-off in nature. We find HFB to be a great first place to have children experience a drop-off. We say the age to start is 2.9ish because that seems to be an age children are ready to say goodbye to mom and dad for a bit. We designed our classes to be at least 90 minutes long so parents can take advantage of some genuine “useable time.” Our Book Lovin’ Babies classes are designed for a toddler and caregiver as they are interactive and parents and kids need each other to make the class fun!
Can parents stay to observe?
- We don’t throw anyone out the door but… the other kids do start to wonder why one parent is lingering and theirs isn’t! We often suggest you set up a visit just prior to your class beginning so the space is not totally new to your child. We are also experts at easing children (and parents) into a drop-off. We are glad to help both of you say gentle goodbyes after a few minutes of time acclimating to the classroom. Lesson plans are posted so parents can read exactly what went on during class too. Parents often tell us how easy the transition to preschool was after HFB drop-offs!
More Questions… just ask!
Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 508-544-1520.